On February 24, 2022, the Russian Federation insidiously attacked Ukraine, which bravely withstood the blows of the enemy.
Foreigners seeking to help Ukrainians fight the occupiers can join the International Legion.
From March 1, visa-free travel with Ukraine will be available to citizens wishing to join the legion.
Ukraine creates an International Legion of Territorial Defense consisting of foreign nationals and stateless persons who want to help Ukrainian soldiers to fight against the Russian occupiers. On March 1, a visa-free regime was temporarily introduced for foreigners wishing to join the defense of Ukraine.
How to join the Ukraine International Legion
On February 27, 2022, the President of Ukraine called on foreigners wishing to stand up for world security to join a separate unit of the International Legion of Territorial Defense.
“Anyone who wants to join the defense of security in Europe and the world can come and stand side by side with Ukrainians against the invaders of the 21st century.
According to the Regulations on Military Service in the Armed Forces by Foreigners and Stateless Persons, approved by the Decree of the President of Ukraine of June 10, 2016 №248, foreigners have the right to join the Armed Forces on a contractual basis voluntarily, including in the Territorial Defense Forces of Ukrainian army», – Vladimir Zelensky noted.
Decree №82/2022 on the temporary introduction of a visa-free regime from March 1 for foreigners wishing to join the International Legion and travel to Ukraine to fight the Russian invaders was signed. Such permission does not apply to citizens of Russia, which is recognized as an aggressor state.
– reach the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine to you and ask to join the Ukrainian army. You can come to the Embassy physically, call or write by e-mail;
– clarify what documents and equipment you need to have with you (internal document or passport, documents confirming military service or service in law enforcement agencies and participation in hostilities, other documents);
– after that arrive at the Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine with the required documents for an interview with the Defense Attaché, as well as for the settlement of visa issues with the Consul;
– write an application for joining the Armed Forces of Ukraine under a contract on a voluntary basis;
– get instructions on how to arrive in Ukraine, the availability of the necessary documents and equipment. It is recommended to bring military clothing or its elements, equipment, body armor, helmet, etc.;
– to go to Ukraine in a certain way. Representatives of Ukrainian Embassy or Consulate and territorial defense in Ukraine should assist you in the nomination process;
Upon arrival in Ukraine at the collection point, you need to sign a contract to join the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine and together with soldiers from other countries and the Ukrainian military to go to fight against the Russian occupiers.
According to Decree №248 / 2016, a foreigner may not be recruited for military service if:
– availability of criminal records;
– you are a citizen of a state which did not consent to the verification of identity information or documents during enlistment in the military service;
– provision of inaccurate information or forged documents;
– the time remaining for a foreigner to reach the age limit for military service is less than the term of the first contract for military service, except in certain cases;
– you are a foreigner who resides in Ukraine illegally.