Employment of foreigners in Ukraine is possible only if the candidate for the job has a permanent residence permit to live in Ukraine or is a recognized refugee. All other candidates have to apply for a work visa type D-04 based on a work permit which has to be obtained by the candidate’s employer prior to the visa application.
It is worth mentioning that foreign workers have the right to invite their close family members to reunite in Ukraine.
Our immigration lawyer in Ukraine provides a full scope of legal assistance for employment in Ukraine starting from issuance of work permit, obtaining of work visa type D-04 and temporary residence permit on arrival to Ukraine and up to its annual extension.
Who can work in Ukraine without a work permit for foreigners?
Without the permission employment possible for: holders of permanent residence permit, refugees or holders of complementary protection, representatives of the foreign marine (river) fleet and airlines, workers of foreign mass media accredited for work in Ukraine, athletes who have acquired professional status, artists and art workers to work in Ukraine on specialty, workers of emergency rescue services for urgent work, workers of foreign representations registered in the territory of Ukraine in accordance with the procedure established by law, clerics who are foreigners and are temporarily in Ukraine at the invitation of religious organizations for the performance of canonical activity only in such organizations, foreigners who arrived in Ukraine to participate in the implementation of international technical assistance projects, foreigners who have arrived in Ukraine for conducting teaching and / or scientific activities at higher educational institutions at their invitation.
Grounds for obtaining a work permit in Ukraine
The employer receives a permission for hiring a foreing employee, unless otherwise provided by international treaties of Ukraine:
– foreign workers on a business trip;
– intracorporate cessions;
– foreign highly paid professionals;
– founders, shareholders and beneficiaries of company/organization established in Ukraine (*minimum wage does not apply);
– foreign IT professionals (*minimum wage does not apply);
– foreign workers of creative professions (*minimum wage does not apply);
– graduates of the universities included in the first hundred in the world rankings of universities in accordance with the list established by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (*minimum wage does not apply);
– asylum seekers (persons who applied on refugee status and wait for the consideration on the application (*minimum wage does not apply).
What is the minimum salary for foreign worker in Ukraine?
In accordance with the state budget of Ukraine for 2022 the minimum salary for Ukrainian citizens is set to 6,500.00 UAH. For foreign workers apply the following salary rates:
– five minimum wages (27,250.00 UAH) – for foreign hired employees in public associations, charitable organizations and educational institutions as defined in the Law of Ukraine “On Education”;
– ten minimum wages (65,000.00 UAH) – for all other categories of employees.
How long can the work permit be valid in Ukraine?
The permission is issued for the term:
– the employment contract, but not more than three years;
– the validity of the contract concluded between the Ukrainian and foreign business entities, but for not more than three years – for seconded foreign workers;
– during validity of decision of foreign business entity to transfer a foreigner or stateless person to work in Ukraine or during validity of contract concluded between foreigner or stateless person and foreign business entity, the transfer to employment in Ukraine – for intra-corporate cessions;
– the labor contract, but not more than one year, for all other foreign employees.
*The work permit may be extended for an unlimited number of times.
How much is a work permit in Ukraine?
The administrative fees for issuing and extending the work permit in 2022 till 01 July are set to the following:
– for 1 – 3 years work permits or it’s extension for such term – 14,886.00 UAH;
– for 6 – 12 months work permit or it’s extension for such term – 9,924.00 UAH;
– for 1 – 6 months work permit or it’s extension for such term – 4,962.00 UAH.
*For asylum seekers the issue of work permit is free of charge.
Please note that the mentioned rates are only for issuance of work permits! Legal services, visa fees and other expenses should be paid separately.
Processing terms for issuance of work permit
– seven working days – about the issuance of a permit;
– three working days – about the extension of the permit or about the amendment of it.
Which legal services do we provide on employment of foreigners in Ukraine
Once you will confirm with your potential employer all the formalities, you are kindly welcome to contact us for professional legal assistance at all stages of your employment in Ukraine: starting from analysis of your work contract and negotiations with your employer and up to obtaining work visa and temporary residence permit on arrival to Ukraine, and even relocating your family members to Ukraine based on your work visa.
Need just a work permit to travel to Ukraine?
If you are not intending to work for someone then you can work by yourself.
We can propose to you the registration of a limited liability company, obtaining a work permit, entering Ukraine with a long term work visa, obtaining a temporary residence permit, and its annual extension. Service also includes counseling and legal protection.