Every year numerous visa applications have been processed by diplomatic missions of Ukraine worldwide. However far not all applicants receive a visa from the first attempt. And there are certain reasons for that. Embassies and consulates check each visa application, conduct personal interviews, check information about the applicant in various databases, both national and international.
In case if the applicant failed to comply with visa policy s/he will be refused a visa. The visa refusal must be accompanied with an official notification in paper or on email and should to contain one or more reasons for rejection of granting a visa to Ukraine.
Visa to Ukraine can be denied only in certain cases exhaustively prescribed by Ukrainian law.
Ukrainian legislation prescribes an exhaustive list of grounds for refusing a visa to Ukraine:
1. National security or public order protection
2. Public health protection, protection of rights and legal interests of Ukrainian citizens and other persons residing in Ukraine
3. Existing entry ban to Ukraine
4. Passport document is forged, corrupted or not conforming to the established model or belongs to another person
5. False information or counterfeit other documents
6. Absent or invalid medical insurance
7. Lack of sufficient financial support
8. Failure to prove the purpose of foreigner’s/stateless person’s intended stay in Ukraine
9. Absence of documents that make it possible to establish the intention of a foreigner or stateless person to leave the territory of Ukraine before the expiration of the visa
10. Revocation of the visa application by the applicant
The provision of more detailed information about the reason for refusal is not prescribed by the current legislation of Ukraine.
After the visa was refused the diplomatic mission makes a note in the applicant’s passport i.e. “Applied” (“Звертався”) with the date and gives the visa refusal notification to the applicant. In case if the visa application was submitted online or through the visa centre the applicant receives a notification on email.
In case of rejection to issue a visa to Ukraine, do not despair – every applicant has a right to appeal such a decision by submitting an appeal letter to the embassy or consulate of Ukraine, or in case of e-visa refusal decision then to the Directorate General For Consular Service of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine.
The consideration of visa refusal appeal letter takes about 10 working days depending on the case. In certain cases the visa can be granted the same day when the appeal letter has been submitted. Sometimes the review of the appeal might take more time but not more than 30 days total.
If you believe that the your visa to Ukraine was refused by mistake then better consider to appeal it instead of simple re-applying for new visa. Moreover, the right to submit an appeal letter is free from visa fees which makes a significant sense due its rates per country.
How our immigration lawyer can assist you in Ukraine visa refusal appeal process?
Immigration lawyer Ivan Goncharov is a licensed attorney at law in Ukraine (license № 002536), he has a wide and positive experience on appealing state authorities decisions and relevant proven testimonials which you can find below on this page.
Within his expertise he does the following:
– carefully assesses your individual situation, plan up the required legal actions and counsel throughout the process;
– prepares an appeal letter with a properly substantiated request to reconsider the visa application and make great as possible to grant you a visa to Ukraine;
– liaises with authorities and stakeholders in Ukraine in order to support your account and follow up the case.
Please note that contacting persons who do not have an attorney’s license might cause you irreparable damage and lead to unforeseen negative consequences.
– How does the appeal procedure work?
– The applicant should to submit an appeal letter to the embassy or consulate of Ukraine (or in case of e-Visa then online to the Department of Consular affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine). The appeal letter is a legal document that should be prepared in accordance with Ukrainian legislation provisions and terms stating the reasons and evidence of why the visa was refused by mistake, and asking to reconsider the decision.
– Do I need to pay visa fees again to submit the appeal?
– No, the right for appeal is free of visa fees.
– How can I submit the appeal? What if there is no embassy or consulate at my place?
– It is recommended to submit the appeal in person directly to the embassy or consulate. Visa centers also admit appeal letters. If there is nothing nearby or even in a neighbouring country then there are only two options: to travel there and submit in person or to submit the documents by courier service.
– Why should I hire your immigration lawyer for the appeal procedure?
– It is not mandatory to hire an immigration lawyer in such cases however without expertise and experience your visa chances will be much less. Sometimes people consider to hire a lawyer only after several repeated refusals. The more times the applicant received refusals the more complicated will be the work for the lawyer.
– How long does it take to get a consideration on an appeal letter?
– Usually it takes the same time as you waited for your initial visa application. However, depending on the case it might take more or less time. Several factors should be taken into account such as the nationality of the applicant, the place of the submission of the appeal letter, endorsement of the security service of Ukraine, the urgency of the visa case.
– In the embassy/consulate I was told that they wanted to grant a positive decision, however the refusal decision came from Ukraine. What does it mean?
– Formally the only decision-maker on visa application to Ukraine is the embassy or consulate, however in accordance to Ukrainian law there is a list of 70 countries the citizens of which are subjects for endorsement by the Security service of Ukraine.
These countries are the following: 1. The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria 2. The Republic of Angola 3. The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan 4. The People’s Republic of Bangladesh 5. The Republic of Benin 6. The Republic of Botswana 7. Burkina Faso 8. The Republic of Burundi 9. The Socialist Republic of Vietnam 10. The Gabonese Republic 11. Islamic Republic of Gambia 12. Cooperative Republic of Guyana 13. Republic of Ghana 14. Republic of Guinea 15. Republic of Guinea-Bissau 16. Republic of Equatorial Guinea 17. Independent State of Papua New Guinea 18. Republic of Djibouti 19. Republic of Eritrea 21. State of Eritrea 21. Federal Federation The Arab Republic of Egypt 22. The Republic of Yemen 23. The Republic of Zambia 24. The Republic of Zimbabwe 25. The Republic of Iraq 26. The Islamic Republic of Iran 27. The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan 28. The Republic of Cape Verde 29. The Republic of Cameroon 29. The Republic of Kenya 30. The Republic of Kenya 31. The Kyrgyz Republic 32. Union of the Comoros 33. Republic of the Congo 34. Democratic Republic of the Congo 35. Democratic People’s Republic of Korea 36. Republic of Côte d’Ivoire 37. Kingdom of Lesotho 38. Republic of Liberia 39. Lebanese Republic 40. State of Libya 41. Islamic Republic of Mauritania 42. Republic of Madagascar 43. Republic of Malawi 44. Republic of Mali 45. Kingdom of Morocco 46. Republic of Mozambique Namibia 48. Republic of Niger 49. Federal Republic of Nigeria 50. Islamic Republic of Pakistan 51. Palestine 52. Russian Federation 53. Republic of South Sudan 54. Republic of Rwanda 55. Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe 56. Kingdom of Swaziland 57. Syrian Arab Republic 59. Federal Republic of Somalia 60. Republic of Sudan 61. Republic of Sierra Leone 62. Republic of Tajikistan 63. United Republic of Tanzania 64. Togolese Republic 65. Kingdom of Tonga 66. Tunisian Republic 66. Republic of Tunisia 69. Republic of Uganda Republic of Chad 70. Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
So, sometimes the problems come because of the position of the State security service of Ukraine.
– Is there any guarantee that the appeal will work out?
– A well-prepared and substantiated appeal letter and done additional legal actions will increase your visa chances, however nobody can guarantee you a visa because it is unlawfully, the right of the consideration on your visa application belongs ONLY to the embassy/consulate. If the visa refusal appeal will be refused then the applicant will have only two options: to re-apply for a new visa or to appeal to the Ukrainian court (in such case the fact of the previous appeal will be a big advantage that proves applicant’s intentions).
– Is it worth it to appeal the decision to refuse a visa?
– If you do not appeal then the situation will remain the same or become worse if you attempt to re-apply for a visa again and again without appealing previous refusal decisions. It is better to do everything possible by legal means. If you will just re-apply on a visa one more time again or even more times then you demonstrate that you agreed with the previous refusal decision and its reasons. Instead if you will appeal the visa refusal decision then you demonstrate a strong disagreement with an unfair and/or mistaken decision. Moreover, you can check our real testimonials and regular updates about cases that won our immigration lawyer on every type of visa (short and long term, work, study, family reunion, private and business visit, even tourism etc) and in many countries all over the world.